Wind bag bags wind: O'Farrell's latest attack on renewable energy

-->

Premier O'Farrell has today continued his relentless hostility to renewable energy – scaring potential renewable energy investors away from NSW.

On the Alan Jones program this morning, Barry O'Farrell boasted:

"There has not been a single application lodged for a wind farm under our Government."

(Alan Jones Show, 28 September 2011)

This follows the Premier's comments last month that if it were up to him the State Government would not approve any more wind farms:

“As I’m told, no new applications have been lodged, we haven’t approved any applications, and if I had my way we wouldn’t."

(Ray Hadley Show, Tuesday 16 August 2011)

"This is just the latest instalment in Barry O'Farrell's attack on wind farms and renewable energy in NSW," Shadow Energy Minister Luke Foley said.

"Wind energy is a $3 billion opportunity for NSW.

"The Victorian Government's new wind policy drives jobs and investment out of the State and if NSW moves decisively, we can secure hundreds of new jobs and billions of dollars in new investment.

"NSW has a 20 per cent Renewable Energy Target and wind is the cheapest form of large scale renewable energy to help meet this goal.

"Wind turbine towers are made of steel, so bringing wind projects to NSW will also help BlueScope Steel in Port Kembla.

"Instead of attacking wind farms, the O'Farrell Government should be telling renewable energy investors that NSW is open for business.

"At this rate there is no chance that the NSW Government will meet its own 20 per cent Renewable Energy Target.

"Rather than attacking wind farms, the O'Farrell Government should require its own Planning Review to come up with a sensible and workable planning regime for the development of the wind industry in NSW."