WHOOPS: BAIRD GOVERNMENT LIGHT RAIL PLANNERS FORGET CHRISTMAS-->
The Baird Government has been forced to bring forward works on the CBD light rail after its project planners forgot Christmas was happening again this year.
In a win for George St businesses – who have been campaigning for months to have their serious concerns about construction chaos heard – the Government today caved to pressure and changed plans for investigative works.
Just eight weeks out from the amended construction date, the Government has only just come clean on what George St will look like during the construction period.
The Government has also been forced to admit today it will spend at least $6 million of taxpayer funds on its Tomorrow’s Sydney campaign apologising to commuters for the construction chaos to come.
The Government’s botched light rail project has lurched from one poorly planned disaster to another, including:
Construction chaos putting the world famous Chinese New Year Twilight Parade – attended by more than 130,000 people – at risk;
- More than $3 million on an army of spin doctors to sell its poorly-planned light rail project at the last minute;
- Business owners bracing for the worst with noise levels as loud chainsaws and lawnmowers drive away customer thoroughfare on George Street;
- Further insult to injury for local businesses with prime shopfronts completely hidden behind hoardings;
- The Government refusing to outline changes to bus routes until Transport NSW accidentally uploaded a new timetable to its website; and
- The sudden and mysterious departures of Project Director Jeff Gooding and Transport for NSW Deputy Director General Chris Lock from the project.
Quotes attributable to Shadow Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Ryan Park:
“The Baird Government’s management of this project in Australia’s global city of Sydney has been nothing but chaos.”
“This is the only government in the world that could forget Christmas was happening and ignore the importance of the busy holiday retail period for local businesses.”
“It’s not like Christmas was changing all of a sudden this year – everyone knew it was coming. It defies logic that the Government ignored Christmas in its original plans for the CBD light rail.”